Sowing Seeds for the Future (SS4F)
Mission and Projects
The Sowing Seeds for the Future Organization (SS4F) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public charity
whose mission is to advocate for children rights to health, education and dignity in
Colombia, South America.
DONATIONS ARE WELCOME AND TAX DEDUCTIBLE
IN THE USA. Contact us at Sowingseeds4future@gmail.com
Currently, the SS4F is working towards assisting with the humanitarian crisis in
Chocó, Colombia. The following are some of the statistics obtained:
1. Childhood mortality 110:1000 (DANE) *
2. Children from 5-10 years old die due to hunger (RCN, 2012)**
3. Children malnutrition and anemia 73% (ICBF) ***
4. Maternal mortality 358:100.000
5. Poverty index 67% (DANE) *
6. Unemployment 60% (Archdiocese of Quibdó)
7. Minimal Infrastructure in the whole department.
8. Twelve hospitals without water, electricity and salaries to personnel.
The following are some of the Projects that we are working on:
1. Maternal and Child Mortality:
- To reduce the maternal mortality rate of 358:100.000.
The SS4F is working with The “Midwives Network of Chocó” led by nurse Ledy Manuela
Mosquera in Quibdó, Chocó, Colombia.
- Clean childbirth kits have been sent along with backpacks and equipment (stethoscopes,
blood pressure cuffs, etc.) for the midwives who travel by river to deliver babies in
the jungle and rural areas.
- Online training is provided for the midwives, on topics such as prenatal care,
birth complications, ethics by Licensed Nurses from the Regions Hospital, in St. Paul, MN.
2. Hunger and Malnutrition:
Goal: To reduce hunger and malnutrition of children in Chocó. We partnered with:
- Father Daniel Saldarriaga, who has organized 19 Food Banks in Colombia.
We would like to start a Food Bank in Chocó.
- Bishop Julio Garcia from Istmina, Chocó.
- House of the Pacific Corporation
- Midwives Network
Every month, the SS4F is sending 15 laying hens to provide protein for the children.
Adults are being trained in techniques to take care of the hens.
3. Poverty, Unemployment and Minimal Infrastructure:
Goal: To end poverty by providing employment, and advocating for the development of infrastructure in the region of Chocó, Colombia, area gifted with so many natural resources and with access to the two Oceans Atlantic and Pacific.
The SSFF has partnered with CANATCOL, AP to advocate for the development of the infrastructure in the region, to provide employment for 1.6 million people and make use of the many natural resources in Chocó, Colombia.
Check the website:
We Advocate for the following projects of CANATCOL, AP:
1. Update the drafts of Route # 25A Humboldt-Bay, Colombia Bay.
2. Update economic studies done in New York in 1964 archived at the
Transportation Department in Fontibón, Colombia.
3. Lobbying for tax-free zone in the Canal Zone for construction and new industries
4. Lobby to secure the prohibition of exports of the Platinum and the Construction of a Platinum Refinery in Condoto.
* DANE: Departamento Administrativo Nacional de Estadistica. (National Adm. Dept. of Statistics)
** RCN: Radio Cadena Nacional (National Radio Station).
*** ICBF: Instituto Colombiano de Bienestar Familiar. (Colombian Institute of Family Welfare).